Almetyevsk is a town situated in Tatarstan. It is located on the left bank of the Zay River to the southeast of Kazan.
Almetyevo village was founded in 1720 by the mullah Almet. Almetyevsk received the city status in 1953.
Oil industry is the most developed branch of town industry. Many oil companies are located in the town, such as Tatneft, Tatnefteprom, Bulgarneft, and SMP-Neftegaz. Besides, such plants as gas processing, tube and motor-car repair plants function in Almetyevsk.
The Muslim religious center n.a. Riza Fakhretdin, located on Lenin Street, is the brightest sight of Almetyevsk. It is the big mosque built already in our century.
There is the icon of the Kazan Virgin Cathedral in the town which is the pearl of Orthodoxy. Its construction was finished in 2007. The Cathedral is a two-storeyed building with snow-white walls and gold domes. The belfry of the cathedral consists of eleven bells; the biggest of them weighs more than a ton. The cathedral has also the Sunday school.
One more sight of the town is the Neftche Cultural center. Its building was constructed in 1981 in a classical style. A monument to oil industry workers, one of the symbols of Almetyevsk as well as a square with beautiful fountain ale located near the center.